Thursday, November 15, 2012
Nebraska, We're Coming for You!
Getting pretty excited about our next state - Nebraska. I'll be running the Goat and the Gobbler 10 miler in Omaha this weekend! As I've mentioned before, I prefer running local races where the race fees stay in the local community - and this race sounds perfect.
One of the things I've enjoyed about chronicling our travels and race adventures has been learning about what makes each state special. So here's what makes Nebraska cool --
1. In 1927, Edwin E. Perkins of Hastings invented the powered soft drink Kool-Aid.
2. The state nickname used to be the "Tree Planter's State", but was changed in 1945 to the "Cornhusker State".
3. State insect is the honeybee and the State motto is Equality before the law.
4. The Lied Jungle located in Omaha is the world's largest indoor rain forest.
5. The largest porch swing in the world is located in Hebron, Nebraska and it can sit 25 adults.
6. Nebraska is the birthplace of the Reuben sandwich.
7. Spam (canned meat) is produced in Fremont.
8. Nebraska has more miles of river than any other state.
9. The Union Pacific's Bailey Yards, in North Platte, is the largest rail classification complex in the world.
10. Nebraska is the only state in the union with a unicameral (one house) legislature.
11. The 911 system of emergency communications, now used nationwide, was developed and first used in Lincoln, Nebraska.
12. Nebraska has more underground water reserves than any other state in the continental U.S.
13. Marlon Brando's mother gave Henry Fonda acting lessons at the Omaha Community Playhouse.
14. Mutual of Omaha Corporate headquarters is a public building built with 7 floors underground.
15.The largest Kolache Festival in the world is located in Prague, Nebraska
Also onn our agenda is walking across the Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge, checking out the Old Market area, and visiting the Zoo, which is supposed to be amazing. Can't wait!