Sunday, September 15, 2013

And Now It Was My Turn to Race

Let me tell you, I was not half marathon race ready...but hey, am I ever? Nope.  When Greg first asked Bridget and I to join him on a trip to SLC for business, of course I searched to see if there were any Idaho races.  And yes, there were two - one in Burley and one is Mesa Falls.  I opted for Burley because it was closer and had a kids event. The downside is the shortest race distance was a half marathon...ouch! But it all worked out.

The night before the race, I was hard pressed to find a pasta experience.  However, we checked Yelp and Stevo's was highly recommended AND they had the best potatoes in Idaho.  Don't have to twist my arm.  Greg had the largest, messiest baked potato topped with so much yumminess that I don't know how he was able to sleep through the night.  I had the BEST rainbow trout sandwich I have ever had. It was a win in our book!

The Fairfield Inn opened their breakfast at 5:00 a.m. for the Triathletes who had to get set up early in transition.  I had a nice 8:00 a.m. start time so I was able to sleep a bit longer and didn't have to rush through my bagel and PB.  There were only about 10-12 of us racing the half marathon - most of the girls were there because their spouses were competing in the triathlon and they were killing some time.  Met several nice people, one of which is a park ranger in Zion National Park.  What a cool job!

We had a hot hot hot sunny day, but the race volunteers and small town experience made this race one of my favorites.  And would you believe, I was FIRST in my age group and won an award? (Shhh...if you don't tell anyone, I was also the ONLY one in my age group.)  My award was a slab of granite that was so heavy I could barely carry it through the airport.  Oh, but I did with pride (and sore arms)!

And just like that, Bridget and I together raced through our 49th state!


No comments:

Post a Comment