Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Running in the Dark - Be Safe Out There



For Christmas last year, my wish list consisted of running gear requests. I scored several wonderful (and safe) items for running during those early morning, and often dark, hours. Below are a few items I've used and recommend if you're an early morning and late night runner.

Nathan reflective tri-color running vest.

Nathan reflective ankle bands.

Lululemon reflective arm sleeves.

Unfortunately, they are no longer in stock at Lululemon (online or in the store), but Ebay seems to have them. I love mine. Just used them over the weekend for my long bike ride and loved them. They stayed put the entire time, provided just the right amount of warmth, and were reflective.

Even with the appropriate gear, keep in mind the following tips:

1. Choose a well-lit route. It's safer and you have a better chance to be seen.
2. Run against traffic. It's easier to dart out of the way of oncoming traffic if you see them first.
3. Be visible. Wear reflective gear and preferably bright colors.
4. Have Identification with you. I wear a Road ID and carry my iPhone (with ICE listed) on my arm band.
5. Run with a partner. We've always been taught that there's safety in numbers.
6. Be aware of your surroundings. Have a plan B - a porch to run to. Don't wear earbuds so that you can hear and be aware of what's going on around you.

But most of all, get in that run and enjoy your run/ride during this wonderful fall weather (minus the rain)!

No comments:

Post a Comment