Saturday, October 17, 2009

As Ice Cube Said, "Today Was a Good Day"

I rested my calf for two very long weeks with no running and no high heels. This morning was my first test run to see if my injury was too bad and would require me to cancel my November 8 race. But as one of the greatest rappers so wonderfully said, today was a good day. The 5-mile run was at Munroe Falls Metro Parks at 8am as part of the Ohio Outside Trail series consisting of two scenic loops of "rolling hills". I took it very easy on the first loop so as not to reinjure myself and to just see how my body responded after being dormant. I kicked it up a notch on the second loop, still not too hard, and actually felt like a little kid letting it loose running down a couple short hills! The race schwag was pretty cool - everyone received a pint glass instead of a boring white race shirt, a water bottle and a sample packet of the new Gu chomps. Post race they had hot mulled cider, cookies (my favorite gingernsnaps!), bananas and bagels. With the temps hovering between 38-40 the cider was fantastic. I enjoyed this course and small crowd so much, I will probably sign up for the rest of the series. Finished in a conservative 57:13. I would like to shave 4 minutes off that for the November race.

On another note, good luck to Elizabeth today at the Columbus marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment