Sunday, May 16, 2010

Go Mommy Go!

Obviously from my earlier post, I am happy. And you better bet I have so many "positive" comments about the Cleveland Rite-Aid Half Marathon that it's ridiculous. But today, Go Mommy Go was the exciting part for me! I got to see my two girls (compliments of my husband's great gift of logistics) at mile 4 on the course and at the final kick before the finish line. That made my day! So much to write about so I'll break it down like this:

1. Great Running Company. I ran with Kim (her first half marathon) and I can't say enough good things about having someone to run with. We would keep each other positive when the other one started feeling a slump. Great motivation!

2. Great Weather. I mean, seriously, mid-50s. Does it get any better than that? I could have done without the headwinds along the shoreway (and the never-ending supply of concrete and incline on the shoreway), but the temps were just amazing. Light sun, not blistering (we've all been victims of the blistering sun during races), and a nice breeze.

3. Kick-Ass ipod Music Selection. This was so key. So much so that I even had "dedicated miles" for different reasons and I didn't even plan it that way. As I was approaching Tremont, Michael Jackson came on and it was shortly before I ran into Greg - great timing since he was (and will always be) a huge MJ fan. Around mile 7 (boring ass mile), both Jack Johnson's Banana Pancakes and Ben Harper's I Always Have to Steel My Kisses from You came on so that mile was all Megan's. I had the hardest time not yodeling along with Chris Isaak at mile 2 and I wanted to rap with Jay-Z to On the the Next One around mile 8 (perfect timing by the way). Michael Buble helped me around mile 9 and it was hard not to pretend I was a broadway performer at this point. The music, just perfect.

4. Knowing the Course and Loving the City. Never underestimate how motivating it is to have pride in your city. I love the Tremont neighborhood with all the wonderful shops and restaurants. Ohio City and the Westside Market get me and my family out of bed early almost every Saturday morning. Gordon Arts District has Gypsy Coffee, Room Service and Luxe. Downtown always provides much to enjoy as a family including the Rock Hall, Great Lakes Science Center and the Browns stadium. Best of all, I giggled as I saw up close one of the "guardians" of the Lorain-Carnegie bridge wearing a Cavs sweatband!

I'm also thrilled to PR because it motivates me to continue working hard during my marathon training. My official time ended up being 2:17:30, which puts me at a 10:30 pace. I'll take it!

Grandma's Marathon you're next!

1 comment: