Sunday, January 18, 2009

My First Experience with Snowshoes!

While in Keystone on a family ski trip, I signed up for a snowshoe lesson. The Nordic Center (who upsized me in my quest to learn a new sport) suggested I instead try the Snowshoe Eco Hike. I am so glad I did! It was a 2 hour, 2 mile hike in snowshoes across some of the most breaktaking terrain. We walked along the Snake River and learned about wildlife tracks and trees. I learned the difference between the needles on a fir (flat), spruce (square), and pine (in pairs). I also learned the difference between dog tracks and coyotes/fox tracks (very key if I ever decide to run in the winter months in the Summit). It made perfect sense because Jameson always runs from smell center to smell center (aka trees, weeds, shrubs, etc.), whereas foxes and coyotes travel in a straight line on a mission. The problem here is I will probably go into panic mode if I'm running and see straight-line tracks! I also got to smell wild sage, which was so cool being plucked out of the snow. The view of the mountain ranges was incredible. Definitely an experience I won't forget. Oh, best of all, I chatted with a fellow runner who explained to me what I needed to look for in snowshoes so I could cross train in the winter.

Later today, we're scheduled for a sleigh ride and possibly tubing tonight. Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Wow wow wow...I love how you all just embrace new adventures!!

    Do post about the sleigh ride - sounds awesome! We will be doing something oh-so-not- comparable, like going to Paul Blart: Mall Cop!!

    ReplyDelete