Thursday, December 3, 2009

Book Review: Born Round

Now that the little one is a little bigger, I find that I can start reading items that are longer than US Weekly articles. I'm currently reading Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-Time Eater by Frank Bruni and I'm loving it. I had read a brief review in the Plain Dealer and thought I would give it a try. Bruni can make a bologna sandwich sound delectable. He writes in one chapter,

I wasn't merely fond of candy bars. I was fascinated by them and determined to catalog them in my head, where I kept an ever-shifting, continually updated list of the best of them, ranked in order of preference. Snickers always beat out 3 Musketeers, which didn't have the benefit of nuts. Baby Ruth beat out Snickers, because it had even more nuts. But nuts weren't crucial; one of my greatest joys was the KitKat bar, and I couldn't imagine any geometry more perfect than the parallel lines of it's chocolate-covered sections. I couldn't imagine any color more beautiful than the iridescent orange of the wrapping for a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. And the sweetest sound in the world? The most gorgeous music? The bells of a Good Humor truck.

I'm about a hundred pages in and I've laughed about how beautifully he portrays his mother's and grandmother's cooking. I've never thought of quiche Loraine in the way Bruni does (but I will now). His background is interesting since he just kind of happened by chance into being a restaurant critic for the New York Times, but he definitely found his calling in the food world. I'm looking forward to diving into the next 200 pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment