Saturday, July 2, 2011

My 32nd State - Fun Facts About Connecticut

Lots of excitement due to my upcoming race in Connecticut. First, it will mark the 32nd state for this family. Second, I am signed up for a sprint triathlon - a challenge for me with weak Open Water skills. And third, the girls and I will be making a little pit stop along the way to the Punxatawney Phil Groundhog Zoo to break up the monotony of traveling 9 hours along Interstate 80!

As with most of my races, I try to add a little fun trivia - watered down education, if you will. So, here are a few claims to fame for the great state of Connecticut:

1. Issued the first telephone book in New Haven with 50 names in February 1878.
2. They never ratified the 18th amendment (prohibition).
3. Home of the oldest U.S. newspaper still being published, the Hartford Courant, established in 1764. I'll definitely have to pick one up!
4. Home to the first hamburger (1895), Polaroid camera (1934), helicopter (1939), and color TV (1948).
5. First lollipop-making machine opened for business in New Haven in 1908. George Smith named the treat after a popular racehorse (did not know that!).
6. PEZ candy is made in the city of Orange (but they don't allow factory tours-bummer!).

The biking and running have been going quite well. I've been biking to work and pedaling more/coasting less, which is promising. I've been trying to get in an OWS, but each morning I'm free, the weather has not cooperated. Rain today, so Sunday must result in some valuable OWS time followed by a ride along the Towpath and a stop at Szalay's yummy farmer's market!

Hope your holiday weekend is shaping up nicely, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment