Saturday, November 19, 2011

This Weekend's Temptation

Before dinner last night I popped in to my favorite running store to pick up some gels and drink mix. As I walked in the back door with my youngest, a girl greeted me and asked me if I was pre registered. I looked at her with the same level of excitement as a 5-year-old on Christmas morning. A race? Here? In my backyard? I asked if it was a half marathon and it was. Oh dear. I love running half marathons. And I do have a long run I need to knock out this weekend - a 12-miler to be exact...which is uhmm pretty darn close to 13.1 miles. I held tough and continued on to the gels, but I did think about how nice it would be to run with a thousand of my closest friends, to have water stations, post-race goodies. I don't need another shirt nor should I spend the money on entry fee. Devil-Angel. Both were talking to me at the same time. In the end, I held strong. I bought my gels and went next door to have a wonderful dinner (and a Bear Republic Racer 5) with my daughters.

I still need to get in my long run. So I'll be carrying my own drinks and I'll put that entry fee toward a new pair of running shoes instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment