Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'm Now Over Half-Way

I'll be tackling the 26th state next week when I finish the Park City Utah half marathon. I figured a post on what I like/dislike about races as well as my favorite races might be good at this point.

1. Chicago Accenture Olympic Triathlon. My husband competed in this race in August 2005. It was during this race, cheering him on, that I got the incredibly crazy idea that I would do a marathon. For anyone who knows me, this is how I think: "today sounds like a good day to do x (like buy a car, get a dog, decide to run a freaking long race)." back to the triathlon, for an urban course Chicago really brings the beauty. The swim is in Lake Michigan where beautiful boats are docked; the bike is along the entire shoreway; and the run goes by Shedd's Aquarium and is FULL of loud, cheering spectators. The finish is at Grant Park. The host hotel is across the street and the entire event is spectator friendly. I was able to see Greg up close during the swim, at each transition, along the bike course and during the run and still could meet him at the finish line. I cannot say the same about the Marine Corps Marathon, which is NOT easy for families/support crew to get around. The expo set the standard for all subsequent expos - hello? Talk about over-the-top! The schwag was amazing and every detail was attended to for the athletes.

2. P.F. Chang's Phoenix Marathon in January 2006. Yep, my first marathon so it's going to be special. I was so excited when I crossed the finish line and got my free bright green Spenco sandals (aka "shower shoes") and a Crispie Creme donut. I was even more excited when Greg and Megan met me at the finish line with a present from Tiffany's for my accomplishment. The course was full of spectators of all ages, I loved seeing Camelback Mountain at every twist and turn in the road, and I still laugh at hearing the story of Megan "bonking" at mile 20 while "spectating" and needing a trip to the Bk Lounge for chicken fries! Super easy city to navigate as my crew saw me at 4 or 5 points along the course!

3. Portland Triathlon in August 2009. Loved the course, although I felt like a drowned rat when I was getting out of the Williamette River. In contrast to Chicago, I actually liked that the expo was nothing more than bag pickup an a couple wet suit vendors. This was also the place where I test road and eventually bought my Fuji road bike. But the finish line was kick-ass! I was greeted with a stainless steel water bottle, a pint of Deschutes amazing special brew IPA (it may have been the BEST craft beer ever), gelato, and an assortment of BBQ foods. My family could see me at all 3 points on the course; the event had arts and crafts on site for kids, and the race organizers really took care of the athletes. Can you believe on race morning, the local Calligraphy Society donated their time at 5am to write numbers on our arms and legs! Very cool. Also, best race shirt ever-long sleeve bamboo with 3 chickens for flail (swim), flee (bike) and flap (run).

4. Other events worth noting: IMT Des Moines for the great shirt with the course on the back; the Flying Pig in Cincinnati for the BEST finish line and post-race food; the Kentucky Derby mini-marathon to run a lap around Churchill Downs while they're getting it ready for the Derby festivities; and the Bill Luti 5-Miler for having a wonderfully giving former cross country coach to yell out splits.

I'm getting excited about Park City next week. I've never run in altitude, although I have lots of experience gasping and grunting for air while climbing steps in Breckenridge. But I just found out that the Tour of Utah cycling race will be comig through Park City the same day I run the half. And George Hincapie will be racing! Plus, let's not forget it's the home of Sundance. I would seriously pass out if I got to meet Robert Redford!

Stay cool in this heat!

1 comment:

  1. Over halfway - that is incredible!! Have a fabulous time in UT!!!

    ReplyDelete