Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Local Store Dilemma

I'm a big believer in buying local, when possible. I will avoid a cart-laden walmart parking lot every time I can and visiting Applebees is not happening when we have so many wonderful independent restaurants serving great local produce/food. So of course my local buying habits extend to my neighborhood running store. But that's where my dilemma begins. EVERY time my husband and I stop there to get new shoes, they are out. Come on. I wear Brooks Adrenaline and he wears the most popular Asics. It's not difficult to keep those in stock. But ok, I always give them my name and wait till their stock comes in (often 2 weeks). Except this time, I was a little steamed that I had to give my freaking name. Hello? My family buys at least 6 pairs of shoes a year, clothes, gu, socks, and any other crap I tell myself I need. So here's my dilemma...what is the incentive of buying local when I don't even get name recognition. Zappos and Amazon not only greet me by name (granted, it's insert your name here by the computer), but I get my product within a day or two delivered to my house with a follow-up email thanking me and recommending other stuff I may like.

This is bugging me.

3 comments:

  1. agreed. often times you don't get the call to pick 'em up either. bums me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And online is often cheaper. So what's the extra you're paying for if not customer service? I like my local running store too, but sometimes I have to stray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you want to shop locally, but if the customer service doesn't meet your needs I say move on! There are plenty of great shoe stores in the Cleveland area, and if yours isn't working use another, or buy online, if you know what you want online is probably the cheaper way to go.

    ReplyDelete