Thursday, August 26, 2010

Park City: Great Place to Visit

If you're reading this, grab a cup of coffee (if it's morning) or a good strong IPA (if it's later). This post will be a looooonnnggg one because I loved loved loved Park City. Saturday morning was race day. I'll cover that in a separate post.

After the race, we enjoyed some pool time...I can't tell you how wonderful it is to swim for 20 minutes, then jump into the hot tub for 10 minutes and keep doing that like it's interval training! After lunch, I got to meet Bob Roll. Darn, if I wasn't over the top with giddiness. I made Megan come with me just in case I forgot how to speak fluent English. Meg was my go-to person when I met Billy Corgan...who also had me speechless. What is it with bald men and me? Blurry picture - I hope to have a better one to post later.
While Greg and Bridget were "napping", Meg and I went to Knead a Massage for a litle 30-minute action. It was her first and they certainly made my calves feel better from that hilly course! Afterwards, we watched stage 4 of the Tour of Utah-awesome since we got to see Levi Leipheimer up close.
After a half marathon, a massage, and standing in the sun for 2 hours watching Stage 4 of the Tour of Utah, I had absolutely no trouble falling asleep! Sunday brought more excitement in this fantastic ski town. We tried out a great little local breakfast spot, then enjoyed ourselves at Park City Silly Sundays where I picked up this handmade hat and the girls and Greg tried on silly hats!
Later in the afternoon, we all hit up Olympic Park. Greg and Meg went down the Quicksilver alpine slide and ziplined at the Olympic Park, which boasts having the steepest zipline in the United States traveling at 50mph along the K 120 ski jump hill.

So much fun. B got to take a ride on her first ski lift and loved it. We topped off the day with dinner at Zoom.  
Monday was hiking and to squeeze in a gondola ride (Meg's big request). We decided on The Canyons for the breathtaking gondola ride views and the easier hiking trails for kids.

Loved the gondola ride up the mountainside and we took advantage of 3 different trails. The first one, Red Pine Trail, I carried Bridget ala piggyback style for the 3 mile trek, with her falling asleep on the last 200 yards. I have to say it was so darn cool to have lunch at the Red Pine Lodge at the top of The Canyons...relaxing and taking in the views.

Bridget was hilarious singing a Canyons version of Laurie Berkner's Going on a Hunt with her words of Going on a Hike while on the High Meadow Loop! The Nature Trail she pretended we were hunting bad guys with her stick while also clearing a path. Great day!

Dinner at Red Banjo, drinks at Wasatch Brewery, ice cream for the girls, then a little time picking up Park City t-shirts.  Dinner options in Park City are diverse and yummy. We ate at a pizza joint (Pizza and a Noodle), at a linen tablecoth restaurant (Robert Redford's Zoom), at a dingy little Mexican place which had a salsa bar (I'm pretty sure I ate my weight in salsa while we sampled AT LEAST 20 different salsas) and the oldest restaurant in Park City (Red Banjo...and yes, the restaurant was full of banjos). Coffee was to-die-for. The views were amazing. One afternoon, Meg and I sat at the base of the Town Lift and enjoyed a coffee just staring out.

Surprisingly, for a ski town, Park City was not overpriced. There are so many activities you can do for free. I also couldn't believe how cool this town was for families or for a quick weekend getaway for a couple. If you couldn't tell, I fell in love with this place and will definitely go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment