Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Half Ironman Training Update

During January I've been able to reach my target goals for training.  I'm surprisingly not as exhausted as I thought I would be - strange, right?  I am surprised how much laundry I generate - hardly any from my work clothes, but wow the WORKOUT clothes are multiplying.

So during January, I am averaging 3 days a week swimming and I can swim 1500 yards without stopping.  No, I can't do flip turns without having the coordination of an elephant in water.  I tag the side of the pool and hope I'm counting correctly.  And counting? Holy crap, my math skills suck and I know this from trying to figure out the difference between swimming laps in a pool that's 20 yards length versus 25 yards length. The good news is I signed up to be a part of the Ohio Masters Swimming group and I am excited about doing drills and having help to impove my stroke. I have A LOT of work to do.

Biking.  Phew, what an ass pain! I fortunately have "toughened" up my "seat" and can now bike on the trainer for an hour with minimal squirming. I'm like a Starbucks cup of tea, though - I feel better if there's double insulation versus just a sleeve, if you know what I mean! I'm bored out of my mind.  I have tried to watch TV, but I hate the commercials.  I can't read because I slow down to turn the page and, before I know it, I am spinning at 11-12 mph pace and that just won't help me finish.  I think I'll have to go to a spin class or maybe take 2 classes back to back to get in a good session.

Running is funny.  I am completely disarmed by the fact that I don't have a long run.  I have been running half marathons and marathons since 2006 and my mind just can't adjust to only doing 3-5 miles regularly. The training plan I'm using got Greg through the Wildflower Half Ironman, so I know it's tried and true and well-tested. I do have to admit I like my body not taking the constant pounding of running - so that part I sure can adapt to.

For strength training, I've been going to Pure Barre classes once a week for the past 3 weeks.  I'm in love with this class.  Each instructor has had slight modifications, but I love that I'm really working my core (abs, arms, legs) without wrecking my knees.

Best part of all this is I'm down 4 pounds since the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment