Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Visit with an Orthopeadist


Thanks to modern technology (I'm talking about you, Google), I had self-diagnosed my knee pain. Being the brilliant, unlicensed medical wanna-be that I am, I had figured that I had a bad case of ITB. I was able to rule out runners knee and torn ACL. Afterall, I'm no Meb and definitely not a professional soccer player (the only ones I know that routinely have ACL issues). What was my REAL diagnosis from a REAL doctor? Weak core. That's right - I was blown away by this diagnosis. I was hoping to hear words that I couldn't pronounce. Instead, I was informed that my quads and abs were competing to the be next Santa Claus, with its bowl full of jelly consistency. The Ortho was even surprised I made it through all of 2010 without knee injury due to my weak quads. "You really have to work on that," he said.

I have an appointment with a physical therapist "who works with runners that don't listen" on Wednesday. I'm actually excited.

On a positive note, I did enjoy my appointment. The Ortho was very accommodating with answering ALL my questions and went through my knee xrays in a manner that I could understand. Best news he gave me is that I have healthy knees and no signs of arthritis. When did I reach THAT AGE of rejoicing when hearing "no signs of athritis"?

Here's to a week of swimming and light cycling! Bowls of oatmeal and mashed foods are right around the corner along with my daisy swimming cap!

No comments:

Post a Comment