Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Physical Therapy: Running Analysis

What a humbling experience to undergo a running analysis - to see yourself running in slow motion. On the one hand, I can still see some MILD quad definition left over from 2 marathons, 6 half marathons and a half dozen other races during 2010. On the other hand, I can also see 3 months of a dormant running life taking its cellulite toll! Sigh, not pretty.

Turns out I have a mild care of knock knees. I actually googled this because I didn't even know if it was nock or knock. Thank goodness Google always asks, "Did you mean..." to which I am always grateful that some wiseguy geek programmer didn't write the program message with "Hey dumbass, what you really meant to ask is..." So due to my knock knee alignment, hip strengthening exercises are even more important for me. No problem - I now have a vast library of exercises to pull from!



The running analysis also revealed that my ankles roll the right amount, my heel strike is good, my arm swing and torso alignment is good (the muffin top not so good) and that I'm in the right shoe "for me." Continued work is needed on my hips as my right hip really drops everytime my left knee strikes the ground. Good news overall and I've been cleared to start running again! For the next 2 weeks, I'll follow a run/walk program, but no complaining here. I had my first "run" today with no pain and I'm over-the-top happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment