Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Life in Lots of Poses

Earlier this week, I finished reading Poser: My Life in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses by Claire Dederer. The book is 332 pages in length and since I'm a mom, wife, full-time worker and part-time runner, it took me nearly a week and a half to knock out. Glad I hung in there because I really enjoyed the book. She's very witty and I loved how she could tell a story about a certain point in her life and relate it to a single yoga pose. I'm not a fan of yoga how-to books, but after reading her book all I could think about was attending a yoga class...and stat!

Throughout the book she discusses her teachers - what she likes and dislikes, their style of yoga taught, music, chanting, meditation. It got me thinking about what I enjoy about yoga. For me, it's the music first. I simply do not enjoy that new agey (sp?) kind of music. If I wanted to listen to Enya, I'd download songs on iTunes (who am I kidding, I'd go to the library where it's free!). I enjoy more modern songs because I like getting lost in the music...and isn't that partially what yoga's about...getting lost in your practice? There's a teacher at my yoga studio, Kristen, who mixes in Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, and Radiohead. She's my favorite. She's also a runner and teaches a more athletic class that focuses on the legs, which let's face it, runners are weak on leg strength. But her music brings me back every time.

Last night, my daughter Meg and I attended a class with Jen. I had taken one of her classes before and I consider her music selection top notch, too. After the basic warm-up of Om, we moved into poses. Her first song was Just Breathe by Pearl Jam...the acoustic version.

So today's guilty pleasure will be beautifully done acoustic songs - and I'll leave you with this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment