Friday, April 13, 2012
Wyoming, Here We Come
This weekend, our family will travel to Wyoming to knock out our 43rd state. Can you believe it - 43 states?! Unbelievable. I still have to pinch myself that we're really doing this. And no thanks to the exhorbitant airfares either!
So let's throw in some fun facts about Wyoming - a sprinkle of education with fitness is a wonderful combination.
1. Wyoming was the first state to give women the right to vote. The state motto is "Equal Rights".
2. Yellowstone is the first official National Park (1872), which is interesting since the state was not admitted into the Union until July 10, 1890 (44th state).
3. The first Dude Ranch in Wyoming was the Eaton Ranch, near Wolf. The Eaton's also came up with the term "dude".
4. Wyoming has the lowest population of all 50 United States.
5. The JCPenney stores were started in Kemmerer.
6. The average annual preciptation is 14.5 inches (Cleveland averages 38.71 inches), which is ironic since it is expected to rain the day I'm there (yep, this Clevelander is bringing the rain to ANOTHER race).
7. A bison is on the state flag and is considered the monarch of the plains.
And a few weird facts as well:
1. If one is drunk in a mine, he/she could land in jail for up to a year.
2. Junk dealers may not make any business transactions with drunk persons.
3. It is illegal to wear a hat that obstructs people's view in a public theater or place of amusement.
4. Using a firearm to fish is strictly forbidden.
I'm off for another run the...and maybe pick up Bridget a cowgirl hat while we're in Laramie. Happy Trails!